Noticed rashes that looks like herpies zoaster. Is there anything to get relief from pain or itching?

My Aunt has a someone taking care of her. She called this morning at 5:00 telling me that my Aunt has a rash that looks like herpies zoaster. Untill we can get her to a doctor is there anything we can to releave the pain or itching? She has a blistery rash on her back and her neck. the girl taking care of her is afraid its goint to her face.

Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi dear ,

thanks for writing in.

Herpes zoster is a viral infection with blistering rash in dermatomal pattern.

If you are sure about herpes zoster valacyclovir should be started immediately.
Dose is 1gm thrice per day.

Also anlgesic anti inflammatory like ibuprofen should be started.
Also tramadol an opioid analgesic is to be given to counter the pain.

Also you can apply calamine lotion over affected are twice to thrice to reduce burning.
Calamine is available over the counter can be used till diagnosis is confirmed.

Hope this helps.