Noticed rashes on penis tip and feet. Tested negative for blood test and STD. Diagnosed with eczema. What to do?

Hello, I am writing because of a rash that started at the tip of my penis and my feet and legs would have a burning sensation in them. I had all STD test and blood work and everything came back negative and normal. After 2 months of the rash and my feet and legs still had the burning sensation, sometimes in hands too and my scrotum all of the sudden became bright red. I went to dermatologist and he diagnosed me with either eczema or psorisis. He also told me that my feet and legs having burning sensation had nothing to do with my rash. I have had a small rash on both arms which was a pink color. Genital area is getting better it seems, but legs feet and hands still seem to have sensitive and burning like sensation. I wanted to get your opinion on what you think this could be and if it could be tied to anxiety due to worry and stress of the rash and or skin problem? The burning normally during the day feels like sunburn and hot and my feet feel tingly and burning feel, like icy hot on them. When I get home and take my shoes and socks off it feels much better, but still feel some sensation, even wake up with it in the morning. Please let me know what you think I should do? Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 14 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the clinical symptoms description provided to me it looks like you are suffering from symptoms of neuropathy. Other possibility I can think in you due to skin problems is Erythromelalgia which can be primary or secondary due to other systemic disease.

Erythromelalgia presents with episodes of erythema, swelling, a painful burning sensation primarily in the extremities. These symptoms are often symmetric and affect the lower extremities more frequently than the upper extremities. Common triggers for these episodes are exertion, heating of the affected extremities, and alcohol or caffeine consumption, and any pressure applied to the limbs. Wearing shoes or socks increases the heat generation and precipitates erythromelalgia attacks.

My recommendation would be for you to see your Dermatologist again and discuss this possibility. If this is not erythromelalgia then need to see a Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation for the possibility of peripheral neuropathy. For time being you can use pain killers and medications like Gabapentin and Pregabalin to control your neuropathic symptoms. You may need couple of blood tests, ENMG and rarely nerve and skin biopsy.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful.

If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.