Noticed raised naval, was brown and sticky. Found a piece of skin, it hurts. Cause?

General Surgeon
Last Thursday I was surprised that the top of my naval was raised. I guessed I had a nerniated naval. This morning
I woke up and felt something in my naval. It was brown and sticky, also what looked like a piece of skin. My naval
hurts more now if I touch it. Can you tell me what is wrong?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by umbilical hernia which could stuck. Umbilical hernia is a small hole in the abdominal wall. Through this hole, fatty tissue and sometimes intestines can get out of the abdominal cavity. If this herniated tissues are able to come back, no pain should be present.
However if the hole is tight, fatty tissue (omentum) and intestine can get out from the abdomen and wont be able to come back. This results with compression of this tissues and can lead to its necrosis. If it is just a fat, it usually does not cause any complications. However if an intestine will stuck in such hernia, bowels obstruction, intestine necrosis are possible.

Brown and sticky discharge from your naval and pain can indicate such situation. That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor as soon as possible and have it ruled out. If the hernia has stuck, surgery might be necessary.

Umbilicus inflammation is also possible, but hernia should be ruled out at first.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.