Noticed pus coming out of eye. What should be done?

Hi my 6 year Old has XXXXXXX pus coming out her left eye every time I clean it it's back right away what can I do the doctors don't poen till morning thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 1 hour later

Pus discharge from eyes can appear yellowish / greenish and is usually caused by bacterial conjuctivitis. Other surrounding structures such as hair follicles, sebaceous glands and lacrimal gland (tear gland) when infected can produce similar symptoms. This can be an isolated condition or associated with other infection such as sinusitis, genitourinary infection, etc. You haven't mentioned any such associated symptoms.

Though it is not an emergency, it warrants medical attention at the earliest. An early course of oral and topical antibiotics is necessary.

I understand you are unable to see a doctor right away. In such case, the following recommendations could help:
1. You can clean the pus whenever it is formed with a clean moistened cloth. Keep changing the cloth to reduce the infection.
2. She may also complaint of pain or fever. You can also give Panadol 250mg if she has fever or pain.
3. Make sure she doesn't rub her eyes.
4. Avoid handling the discharge with bare fingers. You may use a clean cloth instead.

Visit your pediatrician or ophthalmologist right away tomorrow.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Good luck and Regards.......