Noticed pus and redness of testicle. Am I at the risk of contracting STD?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a question about a possible testicle issue ? I have redness and puss , extreme pain when water hits them, ? Did I contract a std, There is also burning of the urine any ideas
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It does not have to be an STD. It can be simple inflammation. It is advisable for you to have simple urine analysis and see if there any infection is present. Antibiotics seems necessary. You should also drink more water and pass the urine as often as possible.
If no effect after such treatment, urine culture tests and urethra bacteriologic tests should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed pus and redness of testicle. Am I at the risk of contracting STD? 3 minutes later
The puss and redness of the testicale would be a seperate issue Or related to a urinary infection, Becuase The redness and puss of the testiclle happened before the urination burning sensation, I am taking 100 MG of doxcycline in the meantime 2 x a day untill i see my Urologist this week just as a precaution, would monistat help the affected area ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Hello!

Testicles are very close to urinary tract and the infection could spread from testicle to urethra. So most likely it is related.
Doxycycline is fine and should help. However if you wont see any improvement in a day or two, you should contact your doctor immediately.
Monistat is for yeast infection and rather wont help in your case.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed pus and redness of testicle. Am I at the risk of contracting STD? 16 minutes later
I had Thought it was a jock itch originally, I used clotrimazole and betamethasone cream for a few days , Is There is a cream that you can recommend that i can use in the meantime ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Creams are good for severe skin inflammations like fungal inflammations. But as you have mentioned about the pus which is coming out, it is more likely acute bacterial infection. To such areas, creams cannot penetrate and have any effect. So I would not recommend any of them. You can wash it with some antiseptic instead.

Hope this will help.
Regards.