Noticed purple white discoloration on finger nail. What am I infected from?

Jul 2016

First finger on Left hand - where finger nail is feels thight and white in color. The middle part of same finger on plam side is a bit purple.

Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed what is called as Whitlow (Infection of bed of the nail or Infection of the terminal Phalanx of the left index finger.

This is mostly a viral infection and subsides of its own but may need treatment to prevent secondary bacterial infection

Take some antibiotics like Doxycycline along with some anti inflammatory drug Diclofenac twice daily. Do consult your treating doctor to get the above medications prescribed.

If it persists even after 2 week then you may need to get it incised and drained by General surgeon.
Hope, I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards,