Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed purple vein on penis head. Is this a serious problem?

Jul 2016

Circle Purple Vein under skin on uncut penis head. 4 normal veins flow into it, bulges a little and more when erect, no pain, maybe 1/4 size of penny? have photos I have had it for a while and i am not sure if i am noticing it more or not
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Based on the facts and Photograph that you have posted it appears that it may be a small round shaped junction of veins situated between two layers of the foreskin.

a. What is the duration of this lesion ?
b. Are you able to retract your foreskin completely. ?
From the photograph that you have posted it appears that you have Phimosis too.
However final diagnosis can be confirmed only on clinical examination.
Please consult a qualified Urologist for clinical examination and confirmation.
You may need to get circumcised under local anaesthesia.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Noticed purple vein on penis head. Is this a serious problem? 29 minutes later
you know I am not sure how long i have had it, i think i have had somewhat of a bulge there for years but am only noticing it more now as it seems to be bigger but maybe i am just noticing it more

I can retract my skin all the way back, during an erection its a little harder but still can do it.

If I pull the skin down the vein collection moves down towards the bottom of the penis, its like part of that retractable skin
1. I was going on a trip tomorrow is this something that can be looked at in a week, or is this really XXXXXXX life threatening? can it explode? I am a little worried
2. Could too much sexual activity have caused it?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
It is a group of veins in the foreskin and there is nothing to worry about.

However, you have to take care that it does not get injured while retracting your foreskin during intercourse. As you have said that your foreskin is little hard to retract it you may need to get circumcised if this hardness increases in future which happens normally as the age advances.
It is not due to too much sexual activity.