Noticed purple patches on side of neck. What could be causing this?

i have redish purple marks on each side of my neck that do not cause pain and arent raised but also do not go away..just wandering what could be the cause. Ive also noticed that when Im in the sun I get brown patches on my face ,legs and arms which has gotten worse over the past few years. the marks under my ears on each side of my neck were noticed a couple of years ago. Ive just covered them with make up.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 20 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your question,
Its important know exactly when these sots were first noticed and under what circumstance you could actually identify. Patches on the body generally have different characteristics. based on the characteristics as visualized by the naked eye and use of the dermatological lens, it could either be classified as infectious or whether it could be steroid sensitive or not. Some people are hypersensitive to light, and if appropriately proven by particular dermatological procedures, advice could be given you on what to do. Other metabolic diseases like porphyrias and adrenal diseases could cause skin changes.
I suggest an appointment with a dermatologist fir a proper evaluation and management.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.