Noticed purple blotch in front of vulva. It is sensitive to touch. Diagnosed with lichen sclerosis. Worried

May 2013
Thank you. I have noticed a purple blotch, sensitive to the touch, on the front of the front left side of my vulva. I have been diagnosed with lichen sclerosis or something like that, and must always use medication. I am very worried about this blotch. I am 77.

Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later

According to your description there is possibility for vulvar lichen sclerosis.
Which can present as ivory-white or purplish lesions.
Some women may have symptoms and some remain asymptomatic.
Decrease estrogen levels in postmenopausal age group is said to be one cause for this.
You once consult gynecologist and undergo local examination.
If it is confirmed as lichen sclerosis, you can take treatment with topical steroids along with your routine medicines.
If your doctor advices you can go for biopsy to find out the actual nature of the lesion.
Better to undergo periodic flow up to monitor any changes in the lesion.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.