Noticed puffiness on face, dark circles under eye after drinking alcohol. How long it takes to cure?

Geriatrics Specialist
I drank 2 much alchol 4 a few months whole off of work 4 an injury. About 2 weeks ago I woke upw puffy an dark circles under my eyes. I've since stopped w alchol an eating healthy w more water. Just wondering if or how long will it take before my eyes return 2 normal. I've never had this before
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 4 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us,

If you are quite well hydrated and had good nap, it will return to normal in few days.
Nothing to worry, it is a normal condition that happens due to dehydration which results in enhancing the appearance of blood vessels beneath the eyes, with thinning of the above skin making the area appear darker.

As you were on alcohol , your body might be dehydrated, resulting in darkening around eyes.
Other reasons could be stress, sleeplessness and smoking could also lead to this condition.

Good to know, you have started taking healthy food and drinking plenty of water, stick to it and you will get well soon.

Dark circle underneath the skin are not a serious condition to see a doctor, if they seems to worsen then it is best to visit your nearby physician.

Let me know if you have further questions,