Noticed pooling saliva in mouth. No other issues. Guide?

Neurologist, Surgical
hello scared to death about als, 57 year old male, generally healthy noticed a some pooling of saliva in mouth for the last moth , a little residual after ingesting liquids, however no other swallowing issues, and no issues regarding chewing, speaking or any limb weakness,.
your thoughts
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 2 hours later

You have provided me very short history. I need to know few more details to answer you better.

1. Was it a sudden onset?

2. Is there any associated symptoms like deviation of angle of mouth, drooling of saliva, cough while swallowing, difficulty in tongue movement, change in voice, etc.

If you do not have any of the above mentioned symptoms and have only pooling of saliva and residual liquid accumulation, then I do not think it is that worrisome. Anyway, it needs clinical evaluation.

In case you have any of the symptoms I mentioned, then a detailed clinical examination by Neurologist is must.

I hope, this information helps. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Wish you speedy recovery.