Noticed pinkish toe, red swollen black and painful foot after waking up. What is going on?

Question
I woke up this morning with my pinky toe on my left foot swollen red and black and painful. It was not like that when I went to bed. I have not injured it. What could be going on?
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to know if you had trauma to affected toe?
Do you have diabetes or peripheral artery disease?

The condition which you are describing above is most likely Gangrene of toe.
It needs immediate medical attention to prevent occurrence of necrosis and need for amputation.

Risk factors for gangrene are- Diabetes, Atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease. Find out if you have these mentioned risk factors or not.

Another likely condition which is not serious is acute paronychia i.e acute nail infection. It can be bacterial/fungal. After clinical examination, decision can be done to prescribe antibiotics/antifungals.

I would suggest you, not to wear tight slippers/shoes which will further hamper blood supply to toe.
Keep it clean, Cover the area with gauze bandages and then clean cotton socks. Cotton will pull moisture away from the injury and promote air circulation for healing. Consult physician as soon as possible to prevent further complications.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Noticed pinkish toe, red swollen black and painful foot after waking up. What is going on? 4 hours later
I have not had trauma to my toe which maks it so odd. I had a pedicure over a week ago. I wear flip flops most of the time. I am not diabetic. I have heart attack and stroke in my family history but have been cleared by my cardiologist who I see as a preventative to make sure I do not have any issues in those two areas. My cholesterol is 170 so that is not an issue either. I'm 5'7" and weight 127 so weight is not an issue either. My toe was normal when I went to bed late Wednesday night and when I awoke Thursday morning I noticed it hurting and upon inspection I discovered it wax bright red on the inside and end of pinky toe and dark purple to almost black under skin around area connecting the toe to foot much like a bad bruse. Especially on bottom of toe. I cannot find a area where I could have gotten bit by something either. I live in the US but currently am in the Bahamas. I plan to see my doctor when I get home Monday. Is there a suggestion of what I should do during the mean time?

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 15 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Toe turning black-purple is not a good sign. If possible see to doctor in bahamas itself so that anti-biotic can be started.
If not take anti-inflammatory medications like Ibuprofen 1 tablet two times a day.
Do not wear tight footware, Cover the area with gauze bandages and then clean cotton socks. Cotton will pull moisture away from the injury and promote air circulation for healing. Consult physician as soon as possible to prevent further complications.

I hope this information helps you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.