Noticed pink saliva in morning. Tested negative for H-pylori infection. Is this related to acid reflux?

PINKISH SALIVA only in the morning. I just had an appointment with my XXXXXXX Med doctor, re: morning only pinkish saliva and the possible connection with my known Acid Reflux. She sent me to a Lab to check for H-pilori ( see if bacterial infection/irritation ) ... negative on the lab test. This morning the pinkish tinge was more abundantly clear . I do on occassion take pinkish Benadryl ... could the XXXXXXX be comeing up overnight, or does do go through the digesiive system and out the other way ? I have read about Barrett's Esophagus and I think this is in the ball park , given my known Acid Reflux ... but is my morning pinkish spit blood tint or XXXXXXX tint ? thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX thank you for your query.
From your description, pinkish saliva is probably not from the stomach. If there is slow bleeding from the lower part of the esophagus, by oxidation, blood turns dark or black. On the other hand, if there is brisk bleeding from the stomach, you would see fresh blood. If you have some small sores in your mouth, if there is some trauma, you could have slightly pinkish saliva as a result.
You also mention Pink Benadryl. The XXXXXXX in the medication could give saliva that color if reflux happens within about 30 minutes after taking the drug.
I am glad that you don't have H.Pylori.
Your question about Barrett's esophagus, you should have had a very long duration of acid reflux symptoms and also more frequent episodes of reflux to cause enough damage to the lining of the lower esophagus. This may take several months to years.
Most of these cases are due to untreated or inadequately treated GERD. Gradually with repeated inflammation and healing, the
lining of the lower esophagus changes in the type cells that lines it.
When this happens, then that could become pre-cancerous to cancer of the esophagus.
If you have had GERD for a long time and have not had an endoscopy, you should consult a gastroenterologist.
Hope I have explained to you in terms that you can discuss with your own doctor.
I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Noticed pink saliva in morning. Tested negative for H-pylori infection. Is this related to acid reflux? 7 hours later
Thank you. I will see what happens to my saliva in the morning ... no Benadrly ... and if there consult a Specialist ... the Acid Reflux was for years off and on, so the Baretts is not out of the question. Thank you again ... XXXXXXX

I will get this before any pre cancerous condition !
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 8 hours later
Hello, XXXXXX,
I think that is very smart to do that. Even if you have had
intermittent GERD symptoms for a number of years , you do
need endoscopic evaluation by the gastroenterologist.
I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Noticed pink saliva in morning. Tested negative for H-pylori infection. Is this related to acid reflux? 8 hours later
Dr Narasi , as a final statement from me, I thank you for your assistance and advice. I just want to report that there was no pinkish tinge to my saliva this morning. I feel good about that but I forgot to mention that about 16 years ago, my then HMO, sent me to a specialist and they did a few Endoscopys and did find polyps. They were begnign at the time but the HMO gave no advice on my condition nor asked me to come back in ( blank number of years ). Now, I do have Acid Reflux and prior to quitting smoking 6 yearts ago, it was frequent and bad. After ending the cigarrettes, the episodes are less frequent but still there for short periods. I have no bleeding gums or mouth sores or trauma, and I take it that the pink Saliva is NOT from the pink Benadryl pills. So, although there was no pinkish tint to my Saliva this morning, I think I will request a Gastroenterologist tomorrow ... just because of the total picture that goes back 16 years to the known presence of polyps. Again, thank you. XXXXXXX ... and I am going to try to find out the origins of your last name ... I am not familiar with the sound of it.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 4 hours later
Hi again,

I am very glad that you are on the right path.

Since you have had gastric polyps in the past, you need a repeat endoscopy to make sure there
are no recurrent polyps.

I wish you the very best and I am sure the gastroenterologist will do an excellent job.

Good luck and God bless.