Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed pimple on penis skin. Could it be herpes?

Hi, I got some pimple that appaers on the top skin of my penis (around the head), but there is no puss, they are red, not really itching, and hard, i can't break them. I didn't have sex for month. And it was with my wife, and we anyway use condom. I went to a doctor that took a look and say it is herpes, that i will get puss. But It's been 1month now and still no puss, fever, or any pimples that have break... what could it be?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 59 minutes later
Though the possibility of herpes may be present,there could be some other possibilities also.Fordyces' spots also appear on the glans(head of the penis),the shaft etc and appears as red or dark purple papules.These are harmless.Another possibility is AV malformations.They may be dilated vessels.You could consult a dermatologist for confirmation.
Follow-up: Noticed pimple on penis skin. Could it be herpes? 3 hours later
Hi thanks for your answer.

I was wondering, if it is herpes... how is it possible?
How could have get it without having sex?
Also it's not Fordyces' spots, as I have those and i m familiar with. This is different. If i touch them too roughly, they become irritating for me. And it takes a moment for the pain to stop, it's not even pain, it's more like i feel burn on it. But if i don't scratch them. I don't feel them at all.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Ok.In that case,if its painful and has a burning sensation then infection fits better.Herpes can be transmitted either by sexual contact or using shared bath towels etc also.Most STI have symptoms like pain,itching,rashes,discharge etc. Since Fordyces spot can be ruled out,infections seems more likely but there are several infections that can be the cause here,and herpes in one of them.Herpes breaks out within a week of exposure and stays for at least 4 weeks. You may have a milder version of the infection,hence no pus discharge. Only examination can confirm after all. As u have said,there above are the possible modes of transmission.