Noticed peppery smell in urine. No discharge or pain. Blood work came normal. Still worry?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have notice a strange peppery smell to my urine. I have not experienced any pain or unusual discharge but this strong smell has been with now for about four to five months. I had a full blood work up twice with in six months every thing came back normal. I really want to know what going on down there.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 36 minutes later
Hi there.

Have you changed your diet recently ?

Do you experience fever, burning sensation on passing urine ?

Any lower abdominal pain, lower back pain near the spine on either side ?

Have you done a urine test recently ?

There could be many causes for this clinical picture. Most probably it is something recent in the diet like certain spices. Other possibility could be infection which is usually accompanied by burning sensation and also sometimes lower abdominal pain and pain on having sexual intercourse. Also if you do not consume 1-2 litres of water a day, dehydration can cause urine to appear dark, XXXXXXX yellow color and smell badly and also some evidence of burning sensation on passing urine.

Avoid junk food, colas, pastries, fried and oily food in diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water a day. Exercise daily by brisk walking for 40 minutes a day which will help drive out the toxins in the body and bring excellent health to you.

You can get a urine test at the Laboratory to look for evidence of infection. If you have any vaginal discharge or itching, it would be wise to consult a Gynecologist because sometimes vaginal infections can infect urine.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.