Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed penis glands turning yellow after circumcision. Infection?

penis glans are turning yellow after circumcision. infection? no pus just discoloration
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

You have written that post circumcision surgery, the glans penis is turning yellow, and are really worried if it was an infection.

Circumcision done surgically under aseptic conditions by a trained surgeon at a hospital recommended. I suppose that in your case it was done in a hospital by a surgeon. It would have been nice if you had mentioned when the surgery was done, recently - a few days or weeks earlier or long ago - months or years back.

Following is my opinion concerning cases of circumcision done days earlier:

1. Circumcision is technically a small surgical wound where the foreskin covering the glans penis is removed for various purposes (social and medical).

2. Being a wound, it must be cared for like any other wound. Regular antibiotics must be taken for a few days after surgery.

3. Since small blood vessels in the skin get cut, healing occurs by granulation tissue formation and can take days to weeks.

4. It is advised to keep the penis area dry and to clean it regularly so as to avoid and bacterial infection from setting in.

5. After sometime, there is the laying down of a layer of keratin on the epithelium in the region of the circumcision, often extending onto the glans. The mucosa is also exposed and skin appearances change with time.

You might be undergoing these changes taking place in the mucosa and skin in the glans and hence the color change. Also the circumcised penis will be more sensitive to contact with your clothes for a while. This will slowly decrease with time.

If there is pain, abnormal swelling or any discharge in the area of circumcision, please consult your doctor immediately.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr A. Rao Kavoor
Follow-up: Noticed penis glands turning yellow after circumcision. Infection? 14 hours later
Thanks so much for the info. I was so worried. The operation was done last Friday on the 5th. And the color changing started like three days after, i then had my doctor look at it and he said everything was going great, but I wasn't sure if he noticed the yellowish color appearing on my glans. A day or two after this, I noticed the yellow color was even more prominent. I was told that if I had any yellow discharge, then it could be an infection, however he didn't mention anything about color change in the glans. The operation was done by a surgeon at a hospital (a highly regarded hospital) and my swelling and bruising was very insignificant compared to other pics I have seen (YIKES) so I believe he is a very good surgeon and did a great job. I just want to make sure my penis isn't going to die on me... Also, my frenulum seems to be having a difficult time healing like the rest of the incision. It is scabbing over but then I take off my bandage to use the bathroom and it pulls off the scab with the bandage. I think this is because I am using the bathroom several times a day and the scab isn't hardening quickly enough, maybe due to the vaseline. I am using a lot of vaseline so I see no logical way to prevent this. Do you have any suggestions because I am hoping for a speedy recovery. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 11 hours later

Thank you for writing back,

I’m glad you found my previous answer useful.

Since the surgery was done only 9 days back, the wound is going through the healing process. There is nothing to worry about. The scab over the frenulum is again a part of the healing. It is advisable you leave the scab to dry and fall by itself. By pulling it out the healing has to begin again as and when the scab is removed prematurely. At the same time i understand it is difficult to avoid it because of the Vaseline and necessity to take off the local dressing to use the bathroom. An option is to reduce your water intake for a few days so that you need not go to the bathroom too many times, till the scab fully forms. If this does not help then you may consult your surgeon regarding the local dressing and Vaseline usage, if there is an option of altering it.

Hope this answers all your questions,
Do write back in case of doubts,
Dr. A. Rao. Kavoor.
Follow-up: Noticed penis glands turning yellow after circumcision. Infection? 6 hours later
Thanks, I appreciate your help. I am going to drink less water for a few days and see if that helps out. Thanks again for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 4 minutes later

I'm glad i could help.

In case of any further problems you can write back anytime.

Dr A Rao Kavoor