Noticed pea sized grain at the bottom of the testicle. Ultrasound showed cyst. Having lower abdomen pain. Serious?

Dear dr,

I have an issue which caused me great anxiety, fear n trouble 24/7.

I had a pea size grain at the bottom of my left testicle about 10 years ago. 3 years ago , I decided that I should have it checked. Ultrasound shows that was a cyst. 2.5mm. The dr assured me that it's fine n leave it alone. Rest my heart n went on my busy work life again

One month ago , I had some lower abdomen pain that seemed to make my testicle hurt when I passed motion. Check on my testicle, found a m&m size lump on my left testicle, this time sitting on top of the left n bigger than the one below it. My anxiety XXXXXXX to the XXXXXXX n I flew 4 hrs to get an ultrasound. The dr said it was a cyst n 8mm. He said it was a spermatocele n is benign .. I left the clinic, with things running in my head..

I googled n found my website or forums related to testicle cyst.. I'm afraid that it will grow slowly , n one day I need to aspirate it or surgical removed. I XXXXXXX wan that to happen . Especially at that very sensitive part of male organ ..

I wan to know why it i get them?? Now I have 2 cyst, when will the 3rd cyst come?? I'm so afraid n y I had to go thru these things..

I'm so prone to cyst, and the scariest thing saying that cyst growing had no scientific explanation as yet. I'm so afraid that it will become cancer . N usually , cancer Oso no real proof of explanation .

I had a submandibular gland tumor when I was 12, grew to a size of a golf ball at age 17, eventually got it removed, benign tumor phleomorphic adenoma. Then again I asked the dr, no real reasons... My so young then like "what have I done??!!" I'm so afraid to go thru surgery stuff.. I can't afford to go thru them again.. I so afraid of growths in my body ... N there seemed no way to prevent them.

I'm very "aware" of my testicle now. When I sit, eat , sleep , talk etc. I will go to the toilet now n then to keep checking on my nuts.. I can't stop thinking of them !!!
I begin to walk in such a way that I XXXXXXX hurt my testicle n afraid to stand straight, which eventually gives me strain pain on my thighs..

I keep checking them , when I XXXXXXX check them , I will tell myself to check them again "later"

My anxiety is high n I felt so depressed.. I XXXXXXX know if that's a urology issue or becoming a psychiatrist issue..

Pls advise
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 10 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     34 year old male
•     Known case of spermatocele
•     Complaints of: anxiety, depression and worry related to problem.

Spermatocele is a benign problem. No definite cause for it is found in medical science, so your search will not help you. It is better not to worry about it, as worrying will not help you in current condition.

But same time you should focus on following things:
-Monitoring of size of cyst by physician on regular interval as advised by them.
-Accept your problem and live your normal life.
-Do not preoccupy your mind with worse consequences.
-Rely on information related to spermatocele from your urologist only rather than other sources.

Your anxiety and depression appear to be in excess, considering the magnitude of your problem. These symptoms are leading to much suffering to you compare to spermatocele alone. Even patient with cancer and AIDS do not develop so severe anxiety and depressive symptoms usually.

In your case combined treatment from urologist and psychiatrist will help you best, to address your spermatocele, anxiety and depression.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.