Noticed painless lump on back of head. Should I be worried for cancer?

Oncologist, Radiation
Dear Doctor,
we have noticed a small lump on the back of my sons head. It is very close to the bottom of the bone of his skull and it is seems very much like a part of the skull. It is not movable and not painful. We are planing to visit a doctor to check it, but as you can understand we are concerned.
I would like to ask you how possible is such a situation to be related with cancer or something dangerous?
Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 1 hour later

I can understand your concern.
Before going to that extreme diagnosis like cancer, other benign causes should be kept in mind.

There are many causes of bony swelling in this age group.
Commonly found swelling is osteoma, which is extremely benign in nature. Dermoid tumor, ossifying fibroma, giant cell tumor, and fibrous dysplasia are also the possibilities.

A proper history taking and clinical examination is necessary. I would like to have the following information.
- Site, size shape of swelling
- associated tenderness
- Consistency of the lump
- Duration and progression in size of the lump
- Presence of associated features like fever, headache, vomiting, visual disturbance
- Any swelling in other part of body

Better imaging modality will be CT SCAN.

You may consult your general surgeon; he can guide you. Feel free to ask me, I will be available for follow up.