Noticed painful lump under the center of the navel. What could this be?

I just noticed a lump underneath my navel; it is quite painful when pressure is applied. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 57 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

To answer you more specifically, I would need more information from you.

Is it in the midline?
Is there any redness, discharge, discoloration?
Is it raised above the skin or is deep?
Is it smooth or irregular, hard or soft?
Was there any fever?
How fast has it developed?
Is it painful when untouched?

It would greatly help if you could upload a photo of the lump here using the uploading service available on this site just below the text box. You can email the reports / scans to
YYYY@YYYY with subject- (Attn: Dr. Prasad Akole)

Wild guess is difficult and I would be able to tell you once I receive the details/ a photo.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
Follow-up: Noticed painful lump under the center of the navel. What could this be? 1 hour later
It is directly under the center of the navel. There is no redness, discharge, or discoloration. It is not raised above the skin, but under the navel. It seems smooth and somewhat hard. No fever. It apparently developed within a day or two. It is painful both when touched and when untouched.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 hours later
Thanks for the update.
There are a few possibilities.

An umbilical or para-umbilical hernia (a lipocoele-fatty hernia, omentocoele),
fat necrosis, developing infection at the navel, cancer is very unlikely (arising in 1-2 days), a cyst which enlarged and caused pain etc.

Is it enlarging/ ballooning on coughing?
Is it fixed and tighter when you lie down flat and raise both your legs straight up? Does it reduce when you raise legs like this?
If so, it is likely deeper to the muscle.

A confirmed diagnosis can only be given on actual examination.
I would recommend you to see your doctor and discuss these possibilities.

Watch for any fever, discharge, discoloration.
take care and good luck!
I hope this was helpful.