Noticed painful lump on lower back along with scab. Pain decreased after using neosporin. Is it safe?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently fell on my back, and thought the fall caused a painful lump/bruise on my lower back along with a small scab where some skin had broken. 3 days later, a piece of the scab came off and when i squeezed gently, brown/beige pus-like liquid came out and as i drained the liquid the lump that formed basically disappeared. The pain has definitely decreased and I put Neosporin on the scab opening. Do I need to see a doctor about this?
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you had a hematoma on your back due to the fall. Since you have drained the collected blood, now you need to do a daily aseptic dressing with neosporin to avoid any infection in the area.
You also need to take a course of broad spectrum antibiotic to prevent any infection. In case there is any pain, then taking a mild analgesic like ibuprofen and doing a hot fomentation in the area will be helpful. It is likely to subside in next 7-10 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.