Noticed painful lump on inside of butt cheek. What should I do?

Dermatologist
Question
while taking a shower yesterday, i discovered a hard lump on the inside of my left butt cheek. after feeling it so much, i guess i irritated it and it began to hurt and i couldn`t sit. can anybody tell me what i should do?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Painful lump on inside of buttcheek can be folliculitis, furuncle, infected sebaceous cyst etc.

Also I would like to know are you on steroids for Asthma?

Did it start suddenly ?Lump was present since when?

Also can you upload photo of the affected area?

Till then please apply over the counter antibiotic like soframycin over the affected area.

Also you can take analgesic anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen +paracetamol for pain.

Hope this helps.

Anticipating your reply.

Regards.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Noticed painful lump on inside of butt cheek. What should I do? 5 hours later
no, i do not take any medication for my asthma as it has not been active for several years now. i noticed the lump on saturday. it is not visible from the outside, it is closer to the anus, when i pass my fingers is the only time i feel it. in order for me to tell it was there, i had to press on the area. otherwise, you cannot tell its there.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 21 hours later
Hi again XXXXXX,

Thanks for the details.

The swelling you are describing can be external piles/hemorrhoides/folliculitis etc. You should apply an over the counter antibiotic like neomycin on the affected area. Also you should immerse the area in warm water with antiseptic added to it.

Do such antiseptic warm water bath twice daily for seven days.

Also you can take Tablet Motrin 400 mg twice a day with food which will ease the pain.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for any further clarification that you may need.

Regards.

Dr Sudarshan.

Follow-up: Noticed painful lump on inside of butt cheek. What should I do? 4 hours later
thank you Dr. XXXXXXX i will try that and see how it goes.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
You are welcome.

I will be available for follow up in future.

Dr Sudarshan.
Dermatologist.