Noticed painful lump near groin area. Should I consult a doctor?

I am 33 years old, male. About 4 days ago I noticed a lump near my groin area. It was/is very tender but things are much better as I move into day 5 or so. It is still tender but seems to be improving. Should I go to the doctor?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 7 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Considering the fact that, you have history of hernia i would suggest that you undergo a surgical evaluation for possibility of recurrence of hernia. I understand that the tenderness is improving and it could be just tender lymph nodes that are resolving. However, to be on safer side i would still suggest a surgical evaluation. The other possibilities might include lipoma, benign cyst and rarely carcinomatous changes. Since there is no history of any drug intake and other symptoms of an allergic reaction, i would rule them out. Wish you speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar