Noticed orange wax like thing after bowel movement. What could this be?

General Surgeon
Hi there
After a bowel movement I'm left with orange wax like floating on top if water! What could this be?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucus mixed with stool.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

The orange wax like thing is a mucus mixed with the stool. It is quite characteristic thing for loose stools (if you have them). One of hypothyroidism stool symptom are loose stools so this can be it. Other possible thing is bacterial infection.

I suggest you to check you TSH level and have stool tests done.
In a meanwhile please start probiotic intake.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Noticed orange wax like thing after bowel movement. What could this be? 16 minutes later
No loose stools! Have had a sore stomach n feeling unwell. If it is a bacteria infection will it need antibiotics? Shall I give it a day or so see if symptoms improve or go to GP?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Still mucus secretion can be increased due to thyroid problem or bacterial infection. It is not an urgent situation for sure so you can wait few days and see if it will go away or not. Probiotic intake should help in case of bacterial infection.