Noticed orange specks in semen. Have enlarged prostate. Longer time to urinate. Guidance?

Question
Hello Doctor,

I've recently noticed what appears as orange specks or sediment in my semen. I wasn't certain of whether it is as a result of blood or some other cause. I felt a few of the specks and noticed that they are tiny hard objects. As for what may be related, I have an enlarged prostate, but according to my doctor it is within "normal" range. I do take longer to urinate, and sometimes trouble. I am not taking medication regularly. I do not experience any pain when I urinate or ejaculate, and I notice the specks with both (urination and ejaculation). I'v had a PSA test and it was normal, and no problems indicated during the test, but the PSA was not very recent. My urine color is yellowish, not dark brown or clear. I drink lemon tea mostly, but coffee sometimes. I occassionally drink coke, but not very regularly or often. I feel ok, and have not experienced any illness. As for the specks, they do not show up regukarly, but unexpectedly and "once in a while". I would appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Orange crystals in the semen can represent stones from the urinary tract.
Crystals or stones can precipitate out in the urine and then subsequently be ejaculated out in the semen.

They can represent crystals from any aspect of the urinary tract: the kidneys, ureter, bladder, prostate or urethra but the kidneys or prostate is most common .

Researchers have found uric acid crystals in the semen of men , these individuals were treated with low purine diet and the symptoms resolved.

To determine if this is the reason for your crystal particles, samples would need to be sent to the lab for analysis. An ultrasound would also be beneficial. This would demonstrate the stones in the tract.
The treatment would vary slightly according to the type of stones found by analysis, they respond to different dietary modifications.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions