Noticed one chest nipples flat and not coming out. Normal? What can be the cause?

Hi there,
I am here with VWR. I am just wondering if you can clear my doubt. One of my chest nipples is flat or not come out. But the other one is very normal. I know this question is very cheeky. But it bothers me a lot.

Could you please explain me what might be the reason for this? And how to make it normal?

Thanks for your time.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Its very common condition and is called Inverted Nipple. This happens due to holding of the nipple tip by a band of fibrous tissue from the inside since birth or since puberty in some.

This can be treated using a empty syringe. The technique is explained well in the below link with pictures for your better understanding. Though the link is explained for women, the same technique holds good for men too.

If this technique fails , a minor surgery can always correct it well.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Noticed one chest nipples flat and not coming out. Normal? What can be the cause? 2 days later
Thank you so much for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX I had a look at the above mentioned website. And I would like to try the empty syringe method.

I want to know what kind of syringe and size would u recommend? Also I would like to know what rubber band would u recommend? Because I do not want to experience any kind of allergies in future.

Also you mentioned that if it fails, I could try a minor surgery? May I know what surgery is that and which hospitals offer that treatment?

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best Regards
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You can use a 3ml volume syringe and can use any rubber band which you are not allergic to.

Surgery is a simple procedure performed by a Plastic surgeon and is called nipple aversion surgery. You can visit any nearby hospital with a good plastic surgeon. Also the cost varies from one hospital from another.

Hope, I answered your query.