Noticed one breast harder than the other and hurts to touch. What could it be?

Oncologist
Question
MY MOM LEFT BREAST IS VERY HARD COMPARED TO THE RIGHT AND SHE SAYS THAT IT HURTS. I'VE ASKED HER TO GO TO THE DOCTOR BUT SHE DOES NOT WANT TO WHAT COULD IT BE?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for somebody your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work On providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your mother.

I am assuming that your mother follows the guidelines to have annual mammograms performed. If she has not had a mammogram within the last 12 months this is very concerning. Regardless if she has changes in the breast which I knew within the last few months a diagnostic mammogram would be necessary. We want to rule out cancer in this case. There are other things which could potentially cause these types of changes in the breast including infection or inflammation but we need to approach this systematically.

I recommend that your mother see her doctor as soon as possible for a consultation as well as physical examination and also to obtain a screening or diagnostic mammogram. This is a very simple test which can help us rule out what is going on.

Thank you again for seven your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert