Noticed numbness in tongue, dizziness and started feeling disoriented. Any advice?

Good day,

My name is XXXXXX. I'm a 26 year old male from South Africa.

Not too long ago, I experienced what was indicative of a seizure after having eaten biscuits. My tongue went numb and I started feeling disorientated. Before I knew it, I collapsed to the ground and started having convulsions - during which time I was entirely aware of my surroundings, but unable to control my body. When ambulance arrived at my house, they took my blood pressure, and noted that it was extremely high.

A week or so later, I experienced the same symptoms, but this time I didnt have a seizure - instead my right arm when completely numb. I can't remember eating or drinking anything out of the ordinary.

Another few weeks later, I experienced the exact same symptoms after having eaten a chocolate dessert - to the extent that I started getting piercing headaches on the right side of my brain, as well as numbness of my tongue and diziness; though I didnt experience a seizure and my arm didnt go numb this time.

Ever since the seizure I experienced, I randomly experience sharp, stingy headaches on the right side of my brain - so much so that it would halt me in the midst of conversation. These headaches are random and sudden, and they would last only a few seconds - but they're extremely intense.

I'm not sure what's going on, and there are many possibilities running through my mind - but I do however know that something's not right, and my body's trying to warn me.

I just need advice please, so that I may be able to narrow down possibilities, before I spend so much money on tests - as I have to pay cash for these tests, because I'm not on a medical scheme.

Thank you tremendously for your feedback.

Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Since you had seizures and other symptoms indicative of brain involvement, a MRI scan would be definitely required. Another thing which needs immediate attention is the high blood pressure that you had. At your age high blood pressure is really a big warning sign and should be evaluated and controlled before any damage sets in.
Regarding selection of tests, you can discuss your finances with your doctor. He would be the best guide as far as the minimum necessary tests are concerned.
Medications for seizures is also a must, which need not wait for the detailed evaluation. They would need to be started as soon as we can.
Hope i have answered your queries. If you have more queries, I will be happy to answer.
good luck.
Follow-up: Noticed numbness in tongue, dizziness and started feeling disoriented. Any advice? 24 minutes later
Hi Dr. Ostwal,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I was informed a few minutes ago by a local pahtologist that my doctor would most likely immediately recommend an MRI rather than having to wait for blood test results - which at stage seems to be imminent.

However Dr., is it at all possible that seizures and localised headaches on one side of my brain may occur due to high blood pressure or diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 5 hours later
Yes definitely seizures and headache may be caused by high blood pressure and diabetes. These can be caused by indirect effects of high blood pressure and high sugar levels.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Noticed numbness in tongue, dizziness and started feeling disoriented. Any advice? 10 minutes later
Thank you Doctor,

I just got back from a visit to my local GP, and he wrote a recommendation letter stating that I go for an EEG scan.

My last question however, doctor:

What other alternative "medical routes" - for lack of a better phrase - would I need to focus on if the EEG scan doesn't bring up any red flags? Could it perhaps be something in my blood?

Thank you for your patience doctor.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 26 minutes later
EEG is less likely to bring up 'red flags' and probably MRI would be best. Blood tests may reveal some possible causes of high blood pressure like renal problems.
Good luck.