Noticed mass in abdomen above belly button. What could this be?

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is a mass in my abdomen above my belly button, but below my rib case a little to the left off center. It is not painful unless there is pressure on it. I have systemic lupus, ITP, and a thryroid disorder. I have had back pain and an upset stomach last week. What could this be?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The most likely cause of the symptoms which you are experiencing is what we reefer to as a ventral hernia.

A hernia is a small disruption of the abdominal muscle which allows for the intestines to push through. This might have the sensation of a mass but this is not truly a growth.

It is possible that this could be something else such as a lipoma or a cyst but the most likely cause in my opinion would be a hernia.

I suggest that you see your primary care doctor for a good physical examination and consultation. This will help to further narrow the diagnosis. If this is a hernia you might benefit from a minor surgery to correct the defect.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert