Noticed lumps on thigh muscles and ill feeling. What could this be?

Thank you. Since September I have had various symptoms, some flu like, some tingling, some muscle stiffness, some abdominal and others that move around. I am certain I have a viral infection. Some of the symptoms are similar to symptoms I had in 2009 when I had a bad upper respiratory tract infection that took almost 4 weeks to clear up -- and that had similar strange symptoms outside of the respiratory tract area. In October, I was feeling better, then noticed several knots/small bumps in my thigh muscles (which I thought were tight spots that needed massaging out). When I massaged them out, the systemic virus like symptoms returned -- tingling, burning, and general ill feeling. No fever at any time. A massage therapist also tried to work out "ridges" another week along the outer thigh. Same thing happened -- I got systemically sick. Last week, I freaked out because I felt I had tingling, burning, and other flu like sensations coming out of my spine and into my neck. I was terrified I may have had meningitis. Got checked by a physician assistant and was OK, but they are taking more tests, including Complete Blood Count. I feel that most doctors don't want to take my complaints seriously. There is definitely something in my system, as I do not feel well, although I do not have a fever. What should I do next?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Post herpetic neuralgia. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Looking into the whole clinical picture I would think in terms of Herpes zoster infection. It is a viral infection which can remain dormant in the ganglion cells of the nerves and get activated whenever there is a positive stimulus like stress etc.. The pain, tingling and numbness you're experiencing is due to what doctors call it as Post herpetic neuralgia. It can occur in may individual, but most commonly in immunocompromised. In this situation I would advice my patient to undergo blood tests to rule out herpes zoster infection. Screen for HIV. Prescribe Acyclovir tablet to control and prevent relapse of infection. Amitriptyline tablet for neuralgic pain. Consult and discuss with your doctor about this condition. He may help in evaluation and treatment. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.