Noticed lump under skin of axial area. It is not painful. Any ideas what it could be?

Hi, I'm a 47 yo female. 5'7", 190 lbs. I've noticed a lump under the skin of my right axial area, about 3/4"-1" and oval-shaped. It is about central and distal (about the point where armpit becomes the arm). I thought is was just "cellulite" - a lump of fat. I've noticed it when I'm putting on deoderant in the mirror. This morning I palpated it, and it is actually firm and fixed. It is not painful and it doesn't feel like a cyst might typically feel. Any ideas?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 14 minutes later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination .

Want to know few more details like is it painful, is there any history of trauma and duration of the lump , history of fever, weight loss or any other symptoms.

There could be many causes of this swelling like it could be a lipoma(benign fat tumor), furuncle, enlarged lymphnode or it could be axillary tail of the breast.

If the lesion is painful then it could be a furuncle or lymphnode enlargement secondary to infections .

If its painless slow growing and soft then could be lipoma or lymph node enlarged due to other causes.

If the swelling comes cyclically associated with menstruation it could be fibro-cystic disease of breast.

For proper diagnosis i advice you to consult your doctor and get examined and can get biopsy and USG done if necessary.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer