Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed lump under jaw. There is no pain. Should I go for medical check up?

Hi there, I just noticed a barely-there lump under my right jaw. I checked the same area under my left jaw -- there is a similar lump (must be my glands). But the one under my right jaw is slightly bigger. No pain. Should I get it checked by my doc? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know few more details in order to come to a better conclusion

1. Do you have any symptoms like excessive salivation or pain while chewing?
2. Did you have sore throat recently?
3. Is the lump becoming larger in size or has it remained the same? Could you tell me approximately how big the lump is?
4. How long have you had the sores?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Noticed lump under jaw. There is no pain. Should I go for medical check up? 14 hours later
Thanks for replying, Dr. Rakesh!

1. No excessive salivation or pain while chewing.
2. I had sore throat but that was a few weeks back.
3. The gland under my right jaw is just slightly bigger than the submandibular gland in my left jaw.
4. I have several canker sores which came out of nowhere. I had them for 6 days so far. They are now healing. They should be gone by tomorrow.

I wonder if my immune system is suffering because of my lack of sleep (we have small children and I am breastfeeding). Since I noticed the slight lump, I began making an effort to sleep more and now I sleep 6 hours (instead of 3-4 hours at night).

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later

Thanks for replying

Salivary glands could enlarge in throat infection but I suspect it to be a lymph node rather than a salivary which is even more likely in a throat infection. Now since your throat infection has settled lymph node should regress by 3-4 weeks, if it persists please see a general surgeon for a quick examination

Immunity does come down due to irregular or inadequate sleep and studies have shown that they fall sick more often than people who sleep adequately, I am happy you are making changes to sleep at least 6 hours a day, try sleeping for 20 min in the afternoon as well.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further queries I will be happy to help you out

I wish you good health