Noticed lump on neck glands. What these could be?

Hi!.. I Just Noticed Lumps On Both Sides Of My Glands.. The One Lump On The Left Side Being Bigger Than The One On My Right Side!.. It Really Scares Me!.. What Could This Be??.. Hope Not Cancer!..
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:

We got your query and thanks for posting it.

What do you mean by 'Glands'? There are a lot of glands in the human body.
Where is the exact location of lump?
What is the size of the lump?
Can you pinch the skin over the lump?
Is it movable between your thumb and index finger or is it attached to the underlying surface?
Did you notice any other lumps in the arm pit / groin / breast area
Do you smoke or did you in the past? Smoking raises the risk of cancer incidence.

I advise all my e-patients not to worry about cancer even before it is confirmed. Not all lumps are cancerous. So I reckon you the same.

Awaiting your details here.
Follow-up: Noticed lump on neck glands. What these could be? 15 minutes later
The Lumps Are On Both Sides Odf My Neck (Below My Jaw Lines....The Lump On My Left Side Of My Neck Is About A Half-Inch Or So..& The Right One About A Quarter Of An Inch Or So.. Yes.. & Can Still Pinch The Skin On Both Sides..& The Lumps Feel Pretty Solid... & Haven't Really Noticed Any Lumps As Of Yet In My Armpits..Or Breast Areas.
Yes!.. I Smoke.. But Am Trying To Quit!..
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Warrants an immediate FNAC of the lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:

The description sounds that the lumps are to be lymph nodes and they are enlarged. They enlarge for some specifics of infection, tumorous to sometimes non specific reasons.

If I am your treating doctor I would immediately investigate it with FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology). It helps me screen it for infection vs cancer.

I would then refer you to Head and neck surgeon for further management plan.

I would like to tell you that this enlarged lymph nodes when on both sides most likely be a result of the infection some where in the mouth, hair, ear and throat.

Hope this answer directs you what to do next.
Follow-up: Noticed lump on neck glands. What these could be? 21 minutes later
Thank-You So Much Dr.Mazumdar!.. I Greatly Appreciate It!.. The Reason Why I Mentioned Cancer Is Because Cancer Runs Rampid In My Family....& Have Had Relatives Who Have Died From Cancer..& Just Recently Lost My Mother To Cancer On XXXXXXX 10th Of This Year...But I Will Definately Have It Checked Out At A Hospital Emergency Ward.. Or Someplace Else!....Thanks Again Soooooo Much!....Sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consider Biopsy if indicated

Detailed Answer:
I am glad my answer helped you.

With smoking habit and family history it is better to go in for biopsy of the node as well for complete picture. Your head and neck surgeon may order that as well.

All the best and I am available to comment any further.