Noticed lump on lower leg. Ultrasound and blood test done. Found hematoma. Took antibiotic. Any advice?

My 81 year old partner woke up one morning with a lump the size of an orange on his lower right leg (just above the ankle) . We had a Ultra sound and blood test at the hospital and the diagnosis was that he had a Hematoma. He was told to just rest and given some antibiotics; Amoxicillin. It has been 12 days now. The swelling despite having gone down is still present. There are fluid like retention around the heel area as well. He was prescribed more Amoxicillin and Ciprofloxacin yesterday. There is a bit of redness and soreness where the lump is when touched. Please advice. He will be traveling long distance (13 hours) in an airplane and my worry is DVT. He is also quite overweight but not a diabetic.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Good news are he is not diabetic and swelling is decreasing in size. It suggests haematoma is decreasing. Antibiotics are prescribed to avoid opportunistic infection. It will not accelerate resorption of haematoma. It will take time as natural process.
Also haematoma is not risk factor for DVT. It he is bed ridden for long duration then it can be risk factor. Overweight is one of the risk factor. No need to take medication to avoid DVT during travelling. Just for precautions you can use DVT STOCKING, which are easily available in medical shops. It will avoid any chances of DVT.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Noticed lump on lower leg. Ultrasound and blood test done. Found hematoma. Took antibiotic. Any advice? 19 minutes later
Thank you for you reply Dr. Sanap. I am still concerned that there is still a hard lump present even though reduced in size and it is sore when touched. There is s slight pink colour as well. Apart from what was advised, is there anything further that needs to be done?

Kind Regards.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 49 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
Haematoma will take time to resolve. It is natural process of such colour and consistency changes. Apart form previous suggestions no need to take special precaution.