Noticed lump on leg, feels like sponge when pushed. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I noticed a lump/bump on my XXXXXXX about 3 weeks ago. I think I might have bumped my leg in that spot but I don't remember.... When I push down on it, it feels like a firm sponge. It's right next to the bone. I'm really worried about .
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a soft tissue Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Though there are many conditions that produces a soft tissue swelling, most possibly it could be Soft tissue Hematoma (Blood clot) which might have resulted due to an unnoticed blunt injury to that area while carrying out day to day activities.

The general treatment guidelines for this condition include

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which causes pain.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 15 minutes once in every 2 hours.Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area to reduce the swelling and to prevent further spread
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications can help relieve symptoms of pain and also calms the inflammatory process.

If your swelling is not resolving with the above measures or is increasing in size , You may need an xray to confirm that the swelling is not arising from the bone.
An MRI scan is necessary to establish its location, extent and its contents.
Tissue biopsy is needed to know his histological nature.

Specific treatment will depend upon the exact diagnosis of the condition.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.

Follow-up: Noticed lump on leg, feels like sponge when pushed. Suggest? 3 minutes later
Will the ice still help even though the injury is three weeks old?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May not be of that much help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to see you back.

Yes, As you thought of , Icing will have good effect during the acute phase (within 3 days) but may not be of much help during later phase. Having said that, there is no harm in Icing as it will cause vasoconstriction (narrowing of blood vessels) and prevent further enhancement of the swelling.

Hope I have justified your query. Good day