Noticed lump in the crook of elbow. Feels soft and squishy after pressing. What can this be?

Hello, today I noticed that I have a lump in the crook of my elbow (inside bend about about the size of a quarter). I can only see it when I stretch my arm out all the way. It's located slightly to the right of the bend. It does not hurt at all, the skin is taught and when I press on it feels soft and squishy. My skin color is normal around the area. I do not have this on my other arm. What can this be? I feel fine otherwise
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 11 minutes later

The description you are providing can go with two possibilities .

2.Sebaceous cyst

Lipoma is a soft subcutaneous swelling composed of fat cells.
It can move slightly from one side to other. soft in consistency asymptomatic.

Sebaceous cyst has also got soft consistency .It does not move under the skin.Has got a black colored punctum or dot like opening on it .

Which one do you think suits the most?

Both are benign swelling if not symptomatic they can be left alone without treatment.

Anticipating your response.

Follow-up: Noticed lump in the crook of elbow. Feels soft and squishy after pressing. What can this be? 19 minutes later
It seems more like the first (Lipoma) because there is no coloration or dot. But when I touch it, it does not actually move - all I notice is the transfer of the lump to another part of the lump. Almost like when you squeeze a balloon and the air transfers and bulges (but obviously on much smaller scale). When I bend my arm it totally disappears.
Thank you and looking forward to next post
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 17 minutes later
Hi again,

The fact that it disappears on flexing the arm suggets it is a lipoma.

It is a very common and benign swelling.

If it is not symptomatic nothing much is to be done about it.It can be left alone.The swelling will not increase in size or cause any problem in your lifetime.

It can be removed if it is painful /causes problems in function / is unsightly in appearance.

Can be removed by a minor surgery under local anesthesia.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.