Noticed lump in leg. Tender to touch. Should I go for medical treatment?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi i discovered a lump on my lower left leg right above the ankle to the right of my XXXXXXX bone, when i discovered it 2 weeks ago i just had an itch and tried to scratch it with my foot and touched the lump and it hurt very badly, it has not changed in size at all as far as i can tell and the pain has gone away. every once in a while if i touch it just right it becomes tender again. i have also noticed that after working my left foot and ankle swell a bit while my right foot and ankle do not. I am not sure if it is something i should go to the doctor for or not... oh yes and when i noticed it it was very red around the lump and now it is not.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 33 minutes later

The lump could be due to some inflammation, infection or benign/malignant process.

Before commenting upon the lump over XXXXXXX bone above the ankle, examination of swelling is necessary.
To allow me to help you better, please answer the following questions:
a. Whether the swelling is mobile or fixed
b. Is it superficial or bony deep?
c. Can you feel the margins of the swelling?
d. Is the temperature of the overlying skin increased or not?

Please answer these questions. We would be able to take this discussion ahead in a more useful manner.

Follow-up: Noticed lump in leg. Tender to touch. Should I go for medical treatment? 11 hours later
The swelling can move a little bit and it feels bone XXXXXXX it is very defined i can feel the edges. the temperature does not feel any different than the rest of my leg.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again

According to your description about swelling , it seems to be a benign bony swelling. Please get a Xray done so that we have a better idea about the nature of the swelling. Its not something you need to be worrying about right now.

Hope I have answered your query.