Noticed lump/growth on left salivary gland. Having dry mouth. Could this be related?

While I was having a pre-op exam, my doctor found a lump/growth on my left salivary gland. I am having a
CT scan on this coming Monday and I am telling myself not to worry until after the scan is read. I also had had
a very dry mouth for a few months now. Could this be connected?
E-mail is YYYY@YYYY
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...Dry mouth and lump in salivary gland can be co related.
Detailed answer..
There can be various causes for salivary gland growths but the most common causes of slow growing pain less lump are neoplasms of salivary gland and more than 80% of them are generally benign.
Since you are having a history of dry mouth for past few months,There is a strong suspicion of SJOGREN's syndrome,which is an autoimmune disaease.
9 people out of 10 people suffering from this syndrome are women.
Let us wait for the CT scan to take place and see the result.
You may also be needing a biopsy and blood testing for anti nuclear antibody ( ANA ) for complete and proper diagnosis.
However there is nothing to worry because sometimes salivary duct stone can also cause growth associated with dry mouth.
Let us wait and watch and apprise me of your CT report.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck and relax.