Noticed lump and numbness on wrist. Painful to touch. What should I do?

Feb 2013

hi - for a week now I have noticed a small soft lump like a cyst at my wrist area on my right hand. The more I use my hand the more painful it gets around that same area - it also seems to limit the ability to lift and do certain movements as it is weak and more painful with activity. Numbness occurs esp. in the morning upon awakening. Heat/cold application does not make any difference in the size of the lump. Numbness can occur during the day periodically and pain increases with use of my hand. What should I do? thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Before advising you on the cystic swelling I need some answers for the following questions.

What about the skin on the swelling?
Is the skin is movable on the swelling?
Is the swelling fixed to underlying structures?
Is the swelling movable in any direction?

This information is required to know the type of swelling. So kindly provide the information in your next query.

Based on the information provided, the following are the possibilities of cyst on your wrist of right hand.

1. Ganglion, arising from a tendon.
2. Fibroma, arising from a nerve.
3. Lipoma, consisting of fatty tissue.
4. Xanthoma, associated with hyperlipidemia.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: Noticed lump and numbness on wrist. Painful to touch. What should I do? 39 hours later
the skin appears normao over the raised site which is now about the size of a silver dollar. All the affected tissue is soft and palpable & moves a little in every direction as if unattached to any structure. the area is painful when pushed down on and with certain hand and arm movements as also during lifting even light objects.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 8 hours later

Thank you for getting back,

The cystic swelling is looking like arised from the connective tissue below the skin.

It may be a lipoma or fibroma.

But ganglioma also a possible as there will be tendons in wrist area.

Physical examination by a doctor/general surgeon is important to the type of swelling.

I advise you to consult your doctor for examination and appropriate treatment advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.