Noticed lump above navel. Got stomach sickness and diarrhoea. Could it be a cancer?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
About a week ago my mother noticed a lump about 1.25 inches above her navel that is the size of a large grape. Two days ago she got very ill with stomach sickness and diarrhea. She went to the doctor and he took an x-ray and scheduled an appointment with a surgeon. He didn't say what the x-ray showed, and I am really worried. My mother did say that she has been having a feeling of abdominal fullness for a while now. Her appointment is a week from today. What is the surgeon likely to find? What will be the likely next steps? If it is cancer, do you think it will be a treatable kind? (I am putting my mother's age below which is 56... also my mother is in good health and works out and eats whole organic foods as much as possible.)
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 50 minutes later
Thank you for writing in.
The position of the lump goes more on favor of ahernia swelling.
As your mother was fit and doing regular workouts there is ahigh likelihood of it being a hernia.
The confirmatory test would be
1. increase in the lump of straining.
2. decrease in the lump on lying down.
3. sudden increase in size with refusal to go in associated withvomiting is suggestive of a complicated hernia.

With this background I will answer all your questions sequentially
1. The most likely diagnosis could be acomplicated epigastric hernia.
2. Admission to hospital in view of her symptoms followed by CT of the abdomen will confirm the cause.
3. The chances of cancer are less as compared to other causes in view of the presentation. Any disease picked up early has a good chance of getting cured by surgical means.
I hope this answers all your doubts.Kindly write back if you still have nay doubts or pertaining to reports.
With regards.