Noticed long strands in bowel movements. Looks like worms? What can be done?

I have been having long strings in my bowel movements for a week or more. Looks like worms but not moving like a worm would. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 31 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Long strings in the stool can be tapeworms, Among the most common tapeworms in humans are the faeces tapeworm (T. solium), the beef tapeworm (T. saginata), the fish tapeworm (Diphyllobothrium spp.), and the dwarf tapeworm (Hymenolepis spp.).

Although tapeworms in the intestine usually cause no symptoms, some people experience upper abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, and loss of appetite.Anemia may develop in people with the fish tapeworm.

Infection is generally recognized when the infected person passes segments of proglottids in the stool (looks like white worms), especially if a segment is moving.

Please get the stool examination done at the earliest to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment is usually a single dose therapy once the infection is established.

Please let me know if you need further information.