Noticed lesions in cornea. MRI showed scattered hyper intensity foci in brain. Is it MS?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
My eye doctor saw "lesions" in my cornea and sent me to a specialist to get a MRI. The MRI showed a few scattered hyper intensity foci in the cornea and a few in the frontal region of the brain. Is this a sign of MS?
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI lesions more than 10 are significant Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Hyperintensity lesions in cornea is not due to MS.MS involves retina and it causes thinning of retina.Other causes of corneal hyperintensity foci should be investigated. If you have reports of MRI (Brain)and fundus findings of eye then please upload these.I need to see MRI report,whether contrast is done or not.Contrast MRI should be done if MS is suspecting. However MS is diagnosed on clinical basis,lab findings and imaging.It can't be confirmed in MRI.So,you should consult neurologist also. Hyper intense lesions numbering more than ten are significant.If it is less in number then other causes should also be excluded. Lesions may be due to ischemia. You will also need to check blood pressure, routine hemogram, random blood sugar, renal function test, lipid profile, liver function test, Ultrasound of abdomen and so on. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Noticed lesions in cornea. MRI showed scattered hyper intensity foci in brain. Is it MS? 15 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. I have copied and uploaded the MRI report. If I do have MS, it answers many problems I have! I fall for no reason, cant remember things, get what I call, "brain fog". The pain I experience, I have been told is nerve pain. Since I have so many issues, I think the doctors are just stumped!! There has to be a good reason why my vertebrae don't want to work correctly, I have had to have a pacemaker, my weight has just decided in the last couple of months, to go up almost 30 pounds, and I can't stay awake!! I believe I could sleep 24 hours a day if everyone would let me!! Anyway, any answers are appreciated! Thanks, Terri

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: You don't have MS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back I have gone through your report. It is almost normal. As already discussed,hyper intensity foci may be due to ischemia and it can be ignored. You don't have MS at all.You shouldn't worry about this. For your other problems, I think you need few more investigations like thyroid profiler, Vitamin D and calcium level in blood. You may also consult rheumatologist and neurologist. Block vertebra is an incidental finding and it doesn't cause any problem. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX