Noticed large veins on the inner part of leg. Feels tender. Just completed antibiotics course. What could this be?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I just finished a 10 day cycle of antibiotics after having flu/sinus infection. No idea if my new symptoms are related but yesterday I noticed my large veins on the inner part of my legs were a bit tender. Today they are not so tender, but my calves are sore. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary yesterday so I thought the soreness was abnormal. I am a fairly fit 45 year old male 5'11" 177 lbs. I don't "work out" much but I walk about 8000 - 10,000 steps per day. Obviously with the flu I had a two week period of being fairly inactive.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query .
You are most probably suffering from phlebitis .Though the commonest causes are trauma or prolonged inactivity (long car/ plane journey) it can be associated with viral infections( flu) or as a sideeffect of strong medications.
For confirming the cause it's necessary to get yourself examined by your doctor.
Pain, tenderness, redness (erythema), and bulging of the vein are common symptoms of phlebitis. If the calf becomes sore it could possibly indicate a deep vein thrombophlebitis (DVT).
An ultrasound of the area can help in making the diagnosis of phlebitis or excluding it.
In general, superficial phlebitis of the lower extremities can be treated by applying warm compresses, elevation of the involved extremity, ambulation (walking), and oral anti-inflammatory medications [ibuprofen , diclofenac etc.
If deep venous thrombophlebitis is suspected or diagnosed, or if its risk of developing is considerable, then anti-coagulation (thinning of blood) may be necessary.
Recovery of symptoms from superficial phlebitis can last a few weeks. A thrombophlebitis may take weeks to months to recover.However please do not worry as your symptoms aren't severe and I suspect them mostly associated to your viral flu/ inactivity in which case it resolves on its own within a week . If it persists or worsens do seek prompt medical help.
Hope I have answered your query.
Please let me know if you have any further queries.
Wishing you good health .