Noticed large lump on jaw. Suspect mumps. Concerned?

I just discovered a large lump on the right side of my jaw. I suspect mumps but I am not sure and very concerned.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 42 minutes later

We generally observe the parotid glands swelling (in front of the ear) on both the sides of face, muscle pain, fever, difficulty eating in typical mumps presentation.

Do you have other described symptoms? Do you have some children or adults around who are affected by Mumps? It would be good if you can post the picture of the lump and the size here with the help of pic upload feature on the right side of page.

Either case since it is less serious if necessary precautions are taken, just do not worry. You need to stay indoors for 5 days and take pain relievers like Tylenol or Motrin as required up to three times a day. Take at least 3 litres of water every day. Cover while sneezing, coughing to prevent the spread of virus.

Let me know if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Noticed large lump on jaw. Suspect mumps. Concerned? 9 minutes later
the lump is directly below my right ear on my jaw line. It is very tender. I have body aches, headache, I may be running a fever. The lump is about the size of a quarter. the lump is soft and movable.

Have a mental taste in my mouth
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 minutes later
The description sounds consistent with mumps. Please carry on with what I said earlier.

It is self limiting viral infection, it just requires good hydration. Rest and Tab Tylenol DS should be sufficient for three days. However please note about the risk of contagion.

Do you have some queries related to this? Let me know.