Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed large bumps inside mouth. Painful to touch with tongue. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
I am a healthy 28 year old male. Tonight, after eating some chips (or crisps, depending on where you're from) and hot sauce I noticed a bump inside my mouth underneath my teeth on the inside of my cheek. I was poked in the mouth by the chips times without thinking anything of it. a couple hours later I noticed this large, bulging bump on the inside of my cheek. I am extremely worried this could be something else unrelated to the chips but it does not seem likely. I do not drink alcohol, I do not smoke, and I'm not sexually active. the bump hurts to touch with my tongue in the area around it feels inflamed. Please advise. Thank you
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history and examining the photos, I feel the lesion could be an infected mucocele.

Our oral cavity contains numerous minor salivary glands. When the opening of the salivary glands get blocked due to various causes such as inflammation, increased viscosity of the secretions and trauma, the salivary secretions gets trapped. The salivary secretions thus accumulated get infected and the sac enlarges.

Do not worry; with appropriate care and medications, this can be taken care of.

1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Anti-inflammatory medicine such as diclofenac or ibuprofen helps in reducing the pain.
3. If the swelling does not subside within a couple of days, then you will require antibiotics such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime.
4. Local application of oral steroid cream helps in reducing the inflammation and swelling.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Noticed large bumps inside mouth. Painful to touch with tongue. Worrisome 13 minutes later
Hi doctor,

Thank you for your great information. I am a severe worrier so I would just like to make sure this does not appear to be a tumor, or an HPV wart (the last time I participated in oral sex was 6 months ago). My exposure is very limited but like I said I am a worrier so I just wanted to make sure I can rule those out by appearance.

I examined the lesion more carefully and can also inform you that it is more of a "flap" of inner cheek tissue that can move up and down and it shows red inflammation. The tip, as you see in the photo, is a little whiter. But the fact that the tissue moves around seems to be assuring to me.

Thank you for your continued shared knowledge.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 20 minutes later

Welcome back

I doubt it to be a HPV infection or a tumor. It appears to be a mere inflamed mucocele. The white tip is the pus pointing; once the tip breaks-off the pain will subside immediately.

Please follow my instructions, you will definitely be alright.

I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon