Noticed large bulge at the base of neck. Started feeling stiffness and soreness. What is causing this?

Spine Surgeon
For some time now I have had a large bulge sitting on where the base of my neck and shoulders meet; it sits right over my spine, so dorsal side. It never gave me much more than a dull ache while holding my head, but of resent my neck has become increasingly stiff and sore. The pain in an intense aching that extends into the base of my skull, with a sharp pain about level with my ear. The pain extends into my shoulder and to the front at my collar bone.Also, this all occurs only on the left side of my neck, though the bulge is centered over my spine.
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 7 hours later

The bulge you are saying is most probably a soft tissue and fat accumulation at the base of the neck. This could be due to medicine side effects. Usually patients taking steroids may get such bulges.

Again, as you mentioned that you have JRA and its common in JRA to get spine stiffness and pain.

Still I would suggest getting the x-ray of the spine to rule out any spinal cause. Best way to tackle these problems is to remain active and carry out regular physiotherapy and exercises.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.