Noticed jerks and twitches after a day off Ms Contin. Cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I AM TAKING 600mg A DAY OF MS CONTIN AND HAVE BEEN FOR 6YRS. I HAVE NOTICED THAt for the last few days I have these jerks and twitches when I try to relax any reasons why?
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
The most likely and common causes for these twitching and jerks are
1... High levels of stress,anxiety,nervousness or excitement or anger.
2... Consumption of excess of alcohol or caffeine.
3...low levels of calcium,potassium,magnesium etc
4... Low levels of VIT B12
5... Use of medicines like anti asthmatics,anti seizure,weight loss medicines etc
6.. Certain disorders like hyperthyroidism or hypoparathyroidism.

I would advise you to get tested for above mentioned causes,stop alcohol and caffeine,do regular stress buster exercises like deep breathing exercises and yoga and taking good nutritious diet.
If some deficiency comes in your tests,then take those supplements.

You should be all right with these measures in next 6 to 8 weeks but if you don't find any change in you or your symptoms worsen,then you may consult a neurologist for proper evaluation.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.