Noticed itchy rashes on inner elbow. How to get rid of these rashes?

Jul 2012

I was wearing a long sleeve shirt about a week ago, rolled up the sleeve, & noticed my left inner elbow began to itch, burn, a small rash appeared, thought maybe threads in the cloth were irritating, itch got worse, changed blouse. Later that day, rash was more itchy, scratched, which made rash worse, with slight raised welts. Attempted lotion, honey, oatmeal compress and aloe, then three days later, a slight rash (small red dots) appeared on right, inner elbow, although not itchy. Has been about 10 days and surprised the left elbow could still itch so intensely, slight scabs, remains in same area and about same size (1 inch in diameter), have not scratched area much. Worried because I work with the general public, and homeless man had mentioned he had scabies, although I did not see him in my office, and only contact was a shared pen. My household has no rashes and my husband thinks I have poison oak, for he hunts and gets this often. No change in soaps, except for new essential oil but discontinued use two days ago and rash remains. Currently, applied baking soda paste to left inner elbow rash, this seems to help, so far.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX.
I do tend to agree with your husband based on the history you have provided...not the poison oak but some sort of allergic contact dermatitis aggravated by light.
What you would greatly benefit from is a topical cortisone cream eg betamethasone or hydrocortisone that you should be able to aquire over the counter applied twice/daily for 3-5 days together with fexofenadine 180 mg a non-sedative antihistamine taken orally once/daily.
This should rid you of the problem. Scabies is a touch far fetched but not an impossible entity but this is not the 'classical' presentation. Still, if no respte in 3-5 days, you may want to attempt to try a cream called 5% Permethrin which may require you to visit your GP for a prescrption.
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD