Noticed itchy pimple on thigh and buttox. What is this?

recently i have had a sore on my buttox and one on my thigh and at first i thought it was a pimple , it has started to seep and it is a bit itchy, along with that i have red bumps or what appears to be acne on my thighs nothing is making it go away my email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later

What you may be having is a boil. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

For such a boil, apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.