Noticed itchy bumps spreading. What could this be and how to treat it?

I thought maybe I was bit by a spider or something, started out as an itchy bump, like a mosquito bite, now the bumps have spread into a few patches. I am very diligent with hygiene, and not sexually active for a year. What could this be? how can I treat it? can't stand the itch. Getting worried, never experienced this before.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
There are several causes of itchy lesions and common cause are:-
- Dry skin
-Generalized itching without specific skin changes include metabolic problems like cholestasis(obstructive jaundice),
-Reactions to drugs,insect stings and bites such as from mosquito or flea bites,
-Fungal infection psoriasis,ringworm,
-Scabies which is a highly contagious skin problem caused by scabies mite,
-Stress and anxiety can also result in or aggravate itch.
-Decreased thyroid hormone levels.
So here it is important to find the cause of your itch and treatment will be according to the cause.
Presently since your symptoms are disturbing your day today life you can take medicines like Loratidine(Claritin) or Benadryl(diphenhydramine).
Locally anti itch lotions like diphenhydramine or Caladryl shall help reduce the itching.
Also for the lesions it will be better to consult a Dermatologist and get examined and if needed investigated.
He will diagnose your problem and treat you accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Noticed itchy bumps spreading. What could this be and how to treat it? 1 hour later
I started to take Benadryl 2 days ago, it only mildly helped. I am also putting calomine lotion on the patches of bumps, seems to help with the itch. An itchy patch is now at my waistline and on the othe side of my bum. Is this dangerous?and how on earth does a person contract a scabies mite. Could you recommend any other cream or over the counter medicine until I can see my doctor, it is only Friday I really need some relief until Monday.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The itchy lesions you are having are most likely related to allergic dermatitis. These lesions are not XXXXXXX if these are localized to one area.
Scabies is a contagious mite which spreads by physical contact with an infected person.
You can use 1% hydrocortisone ointment available OTC for symptomatic releif.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.