Noticed irritation in penile shaft after dry shaving that area. Noticed painful bump. What should I do?

Critical Care Specialist
I am a healthy 29 year old male. Recently dry shaved (without shaving cream) my penile shaft and testicles. I had some typical irritation occur but I have noticed I have a painful bump that remains. It is red and hurts. I am worried I have an ingrown hair. It bleeds a little when squeezed and gave off a little fluid/pus earlier too when squeezed. I am curious other than not dry shaving any longer, what I should do to make this go away? Also, I just wanted to make sure this does not appear to be something like a wart. I am not sexually active but recently had my girlfriend sitting on top of me with just underwear on. She does not have any STDs known. But just want to play it safe to rule out for paranoia sake. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like a boil.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX.
Relax there is nothing to worry. I have examined all the three images attached by you carefully. Most probably this bump is a boil that is infection of hair follicle. Second probability is super added bacterial infection on a very minor abrasion during shaving. This doesn’t looks like to be due to any sexually transmitted disease. It needs a short course of antibiotics for 4 to 5 days along with some analgesic anti inflammatory drugs to reduce the discomfort. Consult a general physician for prescription of antibiotic and analgesics. Mean while you can apply local antiseptic solution over it. Hopefully it will get settle down in 4 to 5 days.
Hope this answers your question.
If you have any more question in your mind, write back I am readily available to answers your queries.
Take care and regards.
Dr Sadiq